What to do after a loss on your home
Step 1: Contact the Police
- If the loss is caused by burglary or theft, notify the police immediately.
Step 2: Take Inventory
- Go room-by-room to take an inventory of the damaged or stolen property.
- If safe to do so, take pictures, make temporary repairs and take steps to protect your property from further damage.
Step 3: Vacate Your Home
- If the home is unlivable, vacate the premises and move to a safe location.
- Keep all receipts for repairs, temporary housing, meals, and other miscellaneous expenses. Please make sure the receipts are itemized.
- Please do not dispose of damaged items, as we may need to see them to complete your claim.